Thursday, November 17, 2011

I Miss You Dad



Today is the 10 year anniversary of my Dad's death. Where have the years gone? It's hard to think of all the things he has missed over the past ten years. The births of his grandsons and another granddaughter. Even his first great grandchild. Some days I still feel such sadness that he didn't take better care of himself. Even though he was dealing with injuries sustained in his accident he would have been here longer. Then it hits me like a rock...I'm doing the same thing!!! Sure I never smoked but I don't eat right or exercise like I should...like I could. I don't want to miss out seeing my nieces and nephews grow up. But I digress! :0)

I'm sorry to say I don't have many pictures of my Dad. This is a layout I did of our last Christmas with our Dad. Anyone that knew my Dad knew how much he loved Christmas! One time he told me it's the one time of year he can do something special for us all. It was so fun talking to him a few times a week till he got our gifts. He would start calling me as soon as QVC started airing Christmas stuff! Usually right after Halloween!!! hehe He would tell me what he saw and ask what I thought of this or that. But once he got the gifts he would call and it became a little game between us. I would ask him to give me a hint and I would guess something outrageous! We both had a good laugh.

One of my favorite memories was shopping with my Dad when I was maybe 10 years old. We went and got a things we needed. We got a can opener, iron, and a toaster...not just any toaster a 4 slice one! And some other items like that. I was so excited that he let me help pick out the gifts. As I got older I realized he always bought practical gifts and always loved giving gifts for the kitchen. I think the only gift that wasn't practical was boxes of candy(Hershey Gold). He said you always need candy at Christmas! :0)

One of the other things my Dad loved was all the fun foods we would have at the holidays. No turkey for him. He was a honey baked ham kind of guy! And there better be some pies! And one of them better be lemon meringue. How we love putting out the spread. He loved playing cards with us or just sitting around talking or watching TV.

Now that he is gone when the holidays come I always try to do him proud! :0) I love to have a big spread, lots of gifts the kids will love and games or cards so we all have something to do. Still, it just isn't the same. You never really know how much one person links you all together till they are gone. I miss my Dad everyday but most of all at Christmas time.

Till my next post...