Saturday, June 25, 2011

Shaving Cream Technique ...Step By Step











I have had a few requests to share how to do this fun technique. I haven't figured out how to post under each picture so I hope my directions will be clear enough. I really can't wait to get a good camera to do videos! Ok, so here goes!

1. Pictures of all supplies. (you don't really need the freezer paper but my counters are white laminate and it helps for a little extra stain protection. But most of all it just makes clean up a breeze!)

2. First put shaving cream on paper plate. (if you are doing bunches you could always use a cookie tray covered with foil) Do not use gel shave cream. I find the cheaper white foam type shaving cream works the best.

3. smooth down the shaving cream...it doesn't have to be perfect just not big bumps. (I used a plastic spoon to smooth it down...oops! I didn't picture that in the supplies)

4. using the reinkers now place drops of chosen colors.(I wear gloves at this point to keep the ink from my hands) You can use as many colors or just one color. The possibilities are endless) I'm not sure if you can use any reinkers. I have only used alcohol based ones. If anyone knows please post the answer for us. I will also check and add any info I find to the comment section on this post. :0)

5. next take toothpicks and slide it up and down(or swirl) to move the colors around. I used toothpicks this time but I think I like using a plastic fork better. It seems easier to manipulate the ink better. You can swirl the ink anyway you like.

6. now just lay your cut cardstock on top of the shaving cream, press down a bit so as to make sure your cardstock it making complete contact to the shaving cream so as to pick up your ink pattern. I used Whisper White cardstock from Stampin Up for this demo.

7. now gently peel the cardstock holding one corner off the shaving cream and place on paper towel.

8. I turn my cardstock upside down and press squeezing off as much of the shaving cream first. Then turn it over and gently wipe with a paper towel. Viola! You now have your shaving cream background. if you notice in the pictures I have one that is a bit lighter that is the second piece I used. I keep repeating the process(I didn't add more ink) but just swirl the ink a bit and use it till it's too light for your taste. You can always add more ink to keep going if you are making a lot of backgrounds at once. You can make a lot of backgrounds with not much shaving cream!

9. let dry then you can use as a background or stamp directly onto the paper. I made two very quick cards to show you both. I still need to tweek them a bit. Some crystal lacquer and glitter on the balloons. Pearls and use the glitter pens on the butterfly card. But I thought this would give you an idea of what you can do. (I'll come back and add the pic's of the cards once I have them "blinged" up! LOL)

I hope you'll give this a try. I know it's a messy techinque but it is so cool to see the papers when your finished.

As always I wish you time to be creative but most of all time to stamp!

Till my next post...